Getting rid of -fno-unit-at-a-time [Was Re: RFC: Preserving order of functions and top-level asms via cgraph]

Mark Mitchell writes:
 > Your primary objective (get rid of -fno-unit-at-a-time) is one that I
 > strongly support.

I have a problem with getting rid of -fno-unit-at-a-time.  Sometimes
we compile huge Java programs; however, keeping all the method bodies
consumes vast amouts of memory.  So, we sometimes need to generate
code for each class as soon as it is parsed and then free the bodies.

Might it still be possible for a front end to force all pending code
to be generated, even with -fno-unit-at-a-time gone?

Andrew.