This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: 2 suggestions
- From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at integrable-solutions dot net>
- To: Toon Moene <toon at moene dot indiv dot nluug dot nl>
- Cc: "Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi at caip dot rutgers dot edu>, ebotcazou at libertysurf dot fr, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, ray at learningnetworks dot com
- Date: 07 Apr 2005 22:44:11 +0200
- Subject: Re: 2 suggestions
- Organization: Integrable Solutions
- References: <31455516.1112895769529.JavaMail.firstname.lastname@example.org><42557C9D.email@example.com>
Toon Moene <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
| Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
| > If people would simply follow the directions here:
| > <http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#*-*-solaris2*> by setting
| > CONFIG_SHELL to /bin/ksh before configure;make bootstrap,
| Indeed - I stopped counting how many hours of debugging shell scripts
| on our Sun server I saved (for my employer) by being on these mailing
| lists and thereby knowing this.
| /bin/sh on Solaris is evil.
We should make go a step further: at configure time, we should either
1. complain loudly with unambiguous diagnostic if /bin/sh on solaris; or
2. silently substitute with sane shell if available and continue.
I think doing 2. would save lots of friustration on either sides.