Re: GCC 4.0 Status Report (2005-04-05)

Andrew Pinski wrote:

Yes it might be a silent miscompiling but there is an easy work around, use a
temporary variable

In a large sourcebase, even figuring out what's been miscompiled is very hard. It's much easier to deal with a compiler that ICEs than one that silently miscompiles code.

unlike pointer to member functions where there is no work around, well except for not using templates but that is just wrong.

There are lots of work-arounds. For example:

  int A::*p = &A::a;
  blah(p);

I didn't say the pointer-to-member problem shouldn't be fixed; I just said it wasn't as critical.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC