Re: RFC: #pragma optimization_level

On 4 Apr 2005, Marcin Dalecki stipulated:
> I don't agree with the argument presented by Geert Bosch. It's even more difficult to
> muddle through the atrocities of autoconf/automake to find the places where compiler
> switches get set in huge software projects

What's so hard about

find . \( -name 'configure.*' -o -name Makefile.am \) -print | xargs grep CFLAGS

anyway?

I think this is a straw man. Manipulating CFLAGS is just *not that
hard*. A few minutes will suffice for all but the most ludicrously
byzantine project (and I'm not talking `uses automake', here, I'm
talking `generates C code in order to compute CFLAGS to use when
compiling other code'.)

Very little goes that far (one package here out of 2,271). The *vast*
majority just set CFLAGS and/or AM_CFLAGS in one or more places, collate
the result, and that's it. Getting to grips with that is not killingly
difficult.

--
This is like system("/usr/funky/bin/perl -e 'exec sleep 1'");
   --- Peter da Silva