Re: Use Bohem's GC for compiler proper in 4.1?

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 10:40:35AM -0600, Larry Evans wrote:
> I briefly looked at:
>
>   Type-Information.html
>
> from:
>
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint-html.tar.gz
>
> I was wondering why the method described here:
>
>   http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gc_source/gc_typedh.txt
>
> was not used instead to create an accurate GC method in the compiler.
> I assume the reason is that using:
>
>    GTY(())
>
> as described in the .html file was just easier and less error prone
> than Boehm's at the cost of requiring some extra preprocesssing?

They don't have the same design constraints or goals.  For instance,
the GTY machinery can determine the type of an object during tree
walking; it does not need to store the type in memory.  We also reuse
the GTY machinery for precompiled header support; I don't know if we
could get Boehm to do that.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC