Re: RFC: #pragma optimization_level

Richard Guenther wrote:
On Apr 1, 2005 9:36 PM, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:

Diego Novillo wrote:

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:24:06AM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:

Dale Johannesen wrote:

So I guess question 1 is, Mark, do you feel negatively enough about this
feature to block its acceptance in mainline?

I'm not sure that I *could* block it, but, no, I don't feel that negatively.

I don't mind either way. But I do have a question, what's the granularity of this #pragma? Function-level, I hope?

That's what I assumed. Anything finer than that is insane. :-)

Well, if we're inventing something that can annotate functions we may as
well invent it in a way that it can be extended to handle statement
annotations.  Just like for

   for (;;)
#pragma inline
      foo();

The concept I was calling insane was trying to optimize the first half of a function with -O2 and the second half with -O0.

Your example is different; you're talking about how to treat the call to "foo", not how to optimize the entire function (including the "for"). Something like what you're suggesting doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to me.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC