Re: AVR: CC0 to CCmode conversion

> From: Björn Haase <bjoern.m.haase@web.de>
> In my opinion segmenting the rework of the back-end would indeed be the best
> approach, also because I expect that the instruction patterns *with*
> splitting will be fairly different. E.g. I do not think that the "addsi3"
> will be present any more. So it would be probably a lot of useless work to
> add all of the clobbers for instruction patterns that are likely to vanish in
> the near future.

Related more specifically to the above comment:

- I understand the desire not to add stuff which is only likely to be
  removed/replaced in the near future.

- at that "near future" point in time, do you anticipate all side-effect
  STATUS-FLAG dependencies between split byte operations to be fully
  exposed such that it will guarantee that potential scheduling
  optimizations will never unsafely reorder them?

- in lieu of replacing the exiting target files with a short term
  interim solution, might it make sense to check-it-in as a parallel
  avr target description, which may be alternatively built with possibly
  --target=new-avr; thereby providing a convenient mechanism by which
  it could be both updated and experimented with conveniently without
  potentially disrupting the base-line existing target files; thereby
  when it's stabilized and clearly superior, it could replace the
  older ones, and then deleted (or kept as a experimental vehicle,
  to test further refinements without disrupting the base-line files?)