Re: Feature request: Globalize symbol

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 20:14, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> That question isn't applicable or maybe I should say "by
> identity mapping".  To wit, SYMNAME refers to whatever has
> "static" in front of it *in the source code*, but for which you
> want it removed, i.e. globalized (speaking in C terms).

I think you fail to appreciate the complexity of a compiler symbol
table.  Particularly when GNU extensions are involved, and when
languages like C++ are involved.  If you restrict yourself to ISO C,
then yes it will probably work in all cases.  Otherwise, no, it won't.

You really should look at the #pragma redefine_extname and extern_prefix
documentation, which lists a number of cases where this "by identify
mapping" concept doesn't work.

> I mentioned --wrap just as *one* way of modifying SYMNAME later
> on (so please don't get stuck on it):

OK.  I'll concede this isn't a reason to reject the patch, it was just
something to consider in the design.