Re: [Bug c++/19199] [3.3/3.4/4.0/4.1 Regression] Wrong warning about returning a reference to a temporary

On Monday 07 March 2005 19:49, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> The way I think about this is that G++ has long supported the GNU
> min/max expression extension -- and it's long been broken.  Over the
> years, I've fielded several bug reports about that extension, and we've
> gradually cleaned it up, but mostly it's just been neglected.

Indeed, not so very long a go I helped pinning down a bug in the RTL
expanders for MIN_EXPR and MAX_EXPR (I think that Roger fixed it) that
made it impossible for that extension to work relyably.  The reason we
found it is that the tree optimizers produces a few (and hopefully it
will produce more of them soon), but the bug in the expanders had been
there since the dawn of time.  And nobody noticed it before.

So, maybe the extension is not used very much.  Perhaps it should be
removed?

Gr.
Steven