Re: Slightly OT: We should move #gcc off of FreeNode

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 12:56:20PM -0500, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 11:03 am, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >
> > I though that #gcc on oftc.net was more active, anyway, or has this
> > changed?
>
> This was more of a request for the #gcc on freenode to catch up with the rest
> of the #gcc and finally move to oftc.

Before this month, I spent a fair amount of time on both.

The #gcc on oftc is used by developers for informal realtime discussion
about the compiler internals.  It's very very useful.

The #gcc on freenode is a cesspit of flamewars about "what is the best
programming language kthx" and questions that can all be answered by a
bot repeating "You need to go read the user's manual" every 10 minutes.

One is for internals development, one is for users who don't read.

The second should not be merged with the first.  (If you try, the first
will quietly move elsewhere.)  The second needs to either stay where it is,
or die and not be missed.

--
Behind everything some further thing is found, forever; thus the tree behind
the bird, stone beneath soil, the sun behind Urth.  Behind our efforts, let