Re: Accessing the subversion repository

Daniel Berlin wrote:

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 15:59 +0000, Andrew STUBBS wrote:

I should note that svn treats it's remote connections as disposable, so
svn+ssh will probably connect more than once for things

like remote

diffs. So if it takes a while to authenticate, this may

not be your

best bet if you are looking for blazing speed (as some

seem to be :P).

Isn't there some was of setting up a svnserve deamon or

something? I'm sure

I read that somewhere, or maybe I just misunderstood

something somewhere.

Anyway, I can live with it for the moment.

This is the svnserve daemon (that's what svn:// and svn+ssh:// urls
access). :)
svnserve is the proprietary protocol like pserver.
http uses DAV.

When accessing a server via ssh svn spawns an svnserve with the -t option,
does it not? I got the impression from somewhere that this could be made to
persist.

It does persist, but svnserve is just spawning threads/forking. The client is what is opening multiple connections.

However, since svnserve clearly does persist when run as a local server (in
deamon mode, not inetd) it is clear where I could have gotten the wires
crossed.

It is possible to run a local server as a proxy for a remote server, in
order to limit the number of password requests?

Not at the moment, but you could just use svk and access stuff that way
if that was your goal.
should work fine.

One could always use ssh to open a tunnel to the remote host, then use plain svn:// over that, I suppose.

-- Brane