Re: Details for svn test repository

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 10:47 -0800, Mike Stump wrote:
> On Monday, February 14, 2005, at 04:04  AM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> >> Fine, i'll just keep all the non-snapshot tags for now.
> >
> > There's no reason why we have to keep all the tags in one place.
>
> Further, we can import them all, and then later remove, move or rename
> them and these things seem to be versioned(?).

Yes.
Thus, your real problem is that if you look at older revisions of the
tags directory, it will be ugly as hell :)

>   I can't imagine that
> the size of tags would matter, I think we should do that.  We cou
> even move old tags to a directory called old if we wanted to, to help
> sort out the chaff and reduce clutter while still allowing people doing
> archeology to be able to easily find them.  It seems safer to import
> them all, and then remove them in the new system, as it seems to be
> trivial to restore any mistakes, while, if they go missing in the
> import, putting any tag back would be, uhm, hard.

Also realize constructing all these tags makes conversion a lot slower
(it multiples the number of times we have to spawn "co" by a lot. Please
don't point out the obvious way of fixing this, but i don't really have
time right now to try to make a one time process much faster by not
spawning co a million times and instead enumerating the plaintexts into
a database)
If we really want all the tags, i have no plans to make them *all*
available before we switch.  I have made the non-branch-point,
non-snapshot, non-merge ones available in the next version of the
converted repo, which is being uploaded.
This actually includes apple-gcc-<whatever>, since that wasn't cuaght by
my exclude regex.
:)