Re: Ping: build testing broken for many multilib targets

David Edelsohn wrote:
Mark Mitchell writes:

Mark> I think that the "flat" layout is just wrong. The right layout is the Mark> same as the one used in the installed tree (modulo Mark> MULTILIB_{OS,}DIRNAMES, I guess). That's the right thing, for lots of Mark> reasons -- not least because there's no point in being different from Mark> the installed tree, unless there's a compelling reason. That means that Mark> I think that the old layout's "libgcc_s_<multilib>.so" links are bogus.

Mark> I've heard people suggest that these links were a win in that it made it Mark> possible to avoid putting as many directories in LD_LIBRARY_PATH at Mark> run-out-of-builddir time, but I think that's specious; eliminating the Mark> differences between build and installed trees is more important.

	The flat model was a conscious decision when libgcc_s_<multilib>
was implemented.  I think that we at least should ask the designer,
Richard Henderson, before unilaterally changing it.

Well, Richard, what say you?

I think that it's bizarre to segregate all of our other libraries into appropriate multilib directories, including static libgcc, but not the shared libgcc.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC