Re: How to best fold __builtin_powi?

 --- Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> 的正文:
> > I want to implement (or port) them on IA64.
>
> ia64 doesn't support trancendental functions as single instructions.

I know. I mean that we can use software methods to implement these functions
and inline them. These algorithms use tables computed beforehand and get
reasonable results. These optimization has been implemented by many commercial
compilers. This paper presents the main algorithm (but not enough)
http://developer.intel.com/technology/itj/q41999/pdf/transendental.pdf

I think this is another big point that can improve the performance of gcc on
ia64.

Best Regards,
Feng Wang