Re: Apple specific options: patch to include them in the currentrelease gcc?

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:22:16 -0800, Matt Austern <austern@apple.com> wrote regarding "Re: Apple
specific options: patch to include them in the current release gcc?"

8-) And I suppose I should also make a general point: Apple does not want
8-) to keep any compiler changes to ourselves.  It is in our interest to
8-) have as many of our changes as possible get into the mainline gcc tree.

	I am firmly convinced of this! I'm not so sure if what I currently have seen of Apple's general policies is a perfect reflection of this attitude, but here is not the place to discuss that :)

8-) If there are any Apple local patches that you would like to see in
8-) mainline, please let us, and the gcc community as a whole, know about
8-) them.  I would love to see mainline gcc be useful for building OS X
8-) applications.  We aren't there yet, but we're a lot closer than we were
8-) a couple years ago.

	Thank you. The most urgent *options* to have are probably -F and -framework, so that one can use a mainstream (and more recent!) gcc for code requiring access to the OS X frameworks. Andrew Pinski tells me that support for that went in, but it is *not* in the current release (3.4.3). (Sorry, but I'd prefer to stick to official releases, although I'd be willing to apply some verified patches.)

Out of curiosity: how much effort would it represent for Apple to provide the necessary set of patches in stride with gcc releases, so that those willing (or absolutely needing Fortran, for instance) can patch the sources themselves? That effort should be diminishing, right, although as pointed out it will never completely disappear?

R.