Re: [i386] Why g++ _always_ link an executable with libm.so?

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 01:38:34AM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Denis Zaitsev <zzz@anda.ru> writes:
>
> | On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:30:05PM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> | > Denis Zaitsev <zzz@anda.ru> writes:
> | > |

> | > Because that is the way it is designed.  If you don't want libstdc++,
> | > say -nostdlib as explained in our documentation.
> |
> | This doesn't work out of the box...
>
> If -nostdlib does not work as explained in the documentation, then you
> might have found a bug.  If you don't explain why it does not work as
> explained in the documentation or do not a fill a proper bug report,
> the probability that it gets fixed is near to zero.

It is not explained in the doc. in a much details.  So I don't know
either it is error or what.  In short, -nostdlib leads to the 'no std
objects' as well, and, as I understand, I must link them explicitly.
Or what does this mean:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 08048094

?

> | Ok, but do we force users to use libm every time libc is used?
>
> What is libc?  How do you define it?

I assume GLIBC, of course.  For x86, but I don't know either this
matters.

> |  No, we
> | don't.  Of course, we don't.  And I emphasised the word 'always':
> | not _every_ routine from libstdc++ need libm, but it always
> | required...
>
> The C++ standard library is a whole entity (minus the "freestanding"
> part) that is hard to split in meaningfully independent parts.
> Personnaly, I have zilk interest in splitting it into zillions
> arbitrary parts (or maintain such splits) and require users to supply
> zillions -lxxx switches.
>
> As a C++ user, when I say
>
>    copy(istream_iterator<int>(cin), istream_iterator<int>(),
>         back_insert(v));
>
> I have no idea of which of those zillions parts are involved
> underneath, I do not want to know, and a fortiori I do not want to
> be required to supply a cabalistic combination of switches to get it
> work. The compiler is better at that than I.

No, no, no...  The initial question has been asked having this in
mind: why the dependencies are used per-shared-object vs. per-module-inside-it?
As I understand now, it's impossible to have that per-module deps for
elf shared objects.  Ok, it's no a question more.

But then another question: if libstdc++ itself has libm in its NEEDED
list, why the whole app having libstdc++ in its NEEDED list is forced
(by the linker?) to have libm there too?  While the app itself never
really needs that libm?