Re: isysroot and various headers

On Jan 4, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 02:10:28PM -0800, Devang Patel wrote:

On Jan 3, 2005, at 5:48 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 05:08:58PM -0800, Devang Patel wrote:
Few weeks ago there was one discussion about isysroot. It allows user
to supply set of include headers some where else (other than
/usr/include). We have a requirement that requires compiler to find
ALL
headers (including compiler headers) in isysroot path. Which means a
patch like following is needed. Does it match isysroot's intended use?
If yes, I'll schedule it for 4.1.

No, definitely not. This will break all sorts of normal setups, i.e. anything where the default configuration has a sysroot.

--with-sysroot=/prefix/sys-root would cause
/prefix/lib/gcc/..../include
to look for /prefix/sys-root/prefix/lib/gcc/..../include.

I think you need to describe your "requirement" a bit better.

In one sentence, "Find ALL headers and libraries in SDK root". Right now, when -isysroot points to SDK root, compiler searches for system headers in SDK root instead of default system header path.

But, SDK root contains libraries, for example libstdc++, for the target
SDK,
so it is expected that compiler also finds C++ STL headers from SDK
root.

Language headers are a different case, indeed. A way to make the language headers live in the sysroot would be nice; I currently use a fragile solution that is relocatable, but independent of -isysroot.

Any suggestion/thoughts on how to keep language headers in sysroot and use -isysroot to find them?

Ideally they would be installed in their native locations + sysroot
path when configured --with-sysroot; then we could turn on the sysroot
flag.

We do not build compiler with --with-sysroot. Same system compiler is used
to build projects using default system root as well as SDK root.

However, other headers should _not_ be searched in the sysroot: namely
tooldir/include.

- Devang