This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: What happen if... (related GPL & src)


Thanks, I will redirect my question to

gnu.misc.discuss

because I was planning in do some "research" in fact read some source, your ones (GCC) and mesa3d, but after thinking a little about software patents and what is GPL, now I am feared because like now I see they are the same moster (that is my actuall feeling).

I will read the codes because I remember one teacher that talk to us about a guy at sun(java) that master itself in poetry instead of computing, when he get out, he say some like "poetry and programming are really more equivalent to what you think, the level of imagination involved, the complexity, etc are both equivalent, the only diference that I watch was that poetry is teached saying students to read the greates novels, poems, etc. Then copy them and then making is own style. But in the side of programming they only show you the sintaxis of languages and make you do things, instead of send to you to read the greatfull pieces of code out there..."


But I have taked fear now watching that sixth point, and sure if GPL can claim that if I read your source code or mesa code, and I do some myself, sure I will NEVER read your code.


I see now the diference from a book that really dosent restrict on how to use any derivate work (because you acquire the knowledge from the text) and then a derivation (with you own paths, imagination and mind) take the place for apply in any that you whant.

wonderfull of you people when your acquisition of knowledge, imagination, freedom of imagination and speech where not targeted be patents, Licenses and pheraphs others things that will come later.






Sorry if is not the place to say it, but I whant to answer in this moment, anyway, I will post this and the anterior post that I do to the place that you have sayed me, also I will post here the link about my feeling in that place (if you whant to follow up).


Thx anyway ;) , gl & hf.

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

hgbasm <hgbasm@yahoo.com.mx> writes:



I will read or desire to read the source code of gcc, but if I for
example make some anotations or some work based in my notes, or I get
a idea of how to implement X thing, or I think that certain idea is
nice, and then I make my own compiler this compiler should need by
under GPL?



Believe it or not, this is not really a gcc question. It is a question about the GPL. Try gnu.misc.discuss.

My answer is that your compiler is covered by the GPL if it is a
derivative work of gcc.  When is it a derivative work?  Nobody can
tell you for sure, as the notion of a derivative work in software is
not spelled out by law or by the court system.  Taking an idea from
gcc and reimplementing it yourself will probably not itself cause your
implementation to be a derivative work.

Ian





Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]