This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: generalized lvalues -- patch outline


Nathan Sidwell <nathan@codesourcery.com> writes:

| Ziemowit Laski wrote:
| > Indeed, I now appear to have a mainline mod for C and C++ which
| > allows assignment to lvalue casts for pointer types.  What follows
| > is a high-level synopsis of what I did; if there is interest, I can
| > whip up a full-fledged patch, complete with docs.  Please let me
| > know.
| 
| Please describe the semantics *in detail* of what you are trying to
| achieve.  Why are the modify-assignment operators not allowed? That
| appears non-orthogonal.

We do not need that abomination.  The standard definition already
provides the semantics: reinterpret_cast.

-- Gaby


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]