Re: The 3.4.X line future (for the next half a year)?

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 03:35:28PM -0500, Denis Vakatov wrote:
> QUESTION:   (to the GCC developers/maintainers of 3.4.X line)
>
>     What are your [ballpark, subjective, gut-feeling] expectations about:
>
>   1) The schedule of the future 3.4.X bug-fix releases (how often and
>      how many and for how long).

Here's just one view.

There's no set schedule; I think you can be reasonably confident that
there will be at least one more release (though this is not a promise);
after that, it depends on volunteer availability.

>   2) Having all (most) major and medium-importance known compiler
>      issues taken care of -- in the nearest 3-6 months.

You can be certain that this will NOT happen in the 3.4.x series.  There
will be bug fixes, but all of the problems are not going to be solved.
In particular, the performance and code quality problems are going to be
addressed as part of 4.0, not 3.4.  If fixes cannot be backported without
major changes, they would probably be considered too risky.