Re: Canadian cross on cygwin

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 01:12, Tal Agmon wrote:
> Isn't compiling a compiler that is going to generate crx executable, will run
> on windows and built on cygwin is a canadian cross?

cygwin does run on windows, so it isn't clear what you mean here.

The easy solution here is that you build a --target=crx-elf compiler.
This will give you a cygwin cross compiler to crx-elf.  Anyone with
cygwin can run it, and perhaps all they need is the cygwin dll, though
it doesn't hurt to give them an entire cygwin environment.

If you won't want to use the cygwin dll, then one wonders why you are
using cygwin at all.  Using mingw32 to build a --target=crx-elf
compiler, and you will get a mingw32 cross compiler to crx-elf.
Assuming that mingw32 can build gcc.  I don't have any experience with
mingw32, so I don't know what its capabilities are.

Trying to build a canadian cross cygwin build/mingw32 host/crx-elf
target is probably a lot of unnecessary complexity.  Building canadian
crosses takes a lot of time and effort to get right.  Don't waste your
time doing it if you really don't need to.

Configuring for a windows host makes no sense.  If gcc could be built
natively, then we wouldn't need cygwin or mingw32 in the first place.

If you need help dealing with cygwin/mingw32 issues, then you are
probably better off asking on a cygwin or mingw32 mailing list.  We can
only help you with gcc issues.