Re: Ada policy

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Robert Dewar wrote:

> 1. We submit fixes for bugs for which we have only proprietary
> test cases, meaning that overall the quality of the Ada front
> end will be higher, since for one thing, it will be far closer
> to our in house tree for GNAT Pro (not quite indentical, since
> there are things in the GNAT Pro tree that cannot go into the
> FSF version for various reasons, related to FSF/GCC requirements,
> not our requirements).

Bugs shown by proprietary testcases should indeed be fixed.  But each
individual patch submission that can't include a testcase should include a
statement of why (e.g. that the test is proprietary and a synthetic one
not readily producable), and such bug fixes need more detailed
explanations of what the problem was and why and how the patch addressed
it, if not obvious, than bug fixes with included testcases, in case the
patch causes problems and someone trying to address those problems needs
to understand why the patch was needed in the first place.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
  http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/#c90status - status of C90 for GCC 3.5