Re: GCC 3.5 Status (2004-08-29)

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Andrew Pinski wrote:

> I should note that the bootstrap time feels longer but I could be imagining
> things.

Bootstrap plus testsuite run time has been slowing down, by actual
observation (3.5 hours three months ago, 4 hours now; 45 minutes 3.5 years
ago), but because of the additional code being added to the compilers,
runtime libraries and testsuites that isn't really something to use as a
release criterion; users only build a release once (or once per system).
(I'd be very unlikely to object to a testsuite addition on the grounds of
increased testing time.)  The time to build a fixed body of code with
different compilers, as shown for example in the SPEC timings, is the more
useful comparison since it avoids mixing the two variables of what is
being compiled and what is doing the compiling.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
  http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/#c90status - status of C90 for GCC 3.5