Re: [semi-related patch] Re: issues with configuring the trunk to build Fortran

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 05:47:26PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
> Let's come back to Ada.
>
> I feel that if the user's source tree contains f95, then they mean to
> build it.  if they don't, then they should use --enable-languages to
> deselect it.  Silently skipping F95 because of missing libraries seems
> kind of harshly surprising.

But everyone who downloads the complete gcc tarball has the ada tree,
including those who don't intend to build it.

Similarly, on many platforms something needed for Java is not included.
Java is simply not built, even if the user did not give an
--enable-languages flag.

The way gcc has always worked, in the absence of an --enable-languages
flag, all languages that can be built are built, and the others (e.g.
Java and Ada) are not complained about.