RE: Broken link and defunct search

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
Personally, I consider this an annoying bug in makeinfo 4.7; for user
visible addresses "_002b" is just ridiculous to use instead of "-", and
in our case possible conflicts between different strings simply are not
an issue.

I just sent a message to the texinfo maintainers to see whether they are willing to provide an option to disable this new behavior (or whether there is some workaround).

I have not received any response yet...

In the worst case, I'll probably do a big sed over the GCC web pages. :-(

...so I just declared the worst case and added

sed -e 's/_002d/-/g' -e 's/_002a/*/g'

to a strategic place to the wwwdocs/bin/preprocess script on gcc.gnu.org.

Yes, this is kind of embarrassing, but at least deep links into our
installation notes work again.

Joseph, do you want to do something similar for /onlinedocs? The URLs generated by makeinfo 4.7 are simply gross (and currently external links and bookmarks into /onlinedocs are broken).

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/