Re: libcpp's aclocal.m4 regeneration question. Also is it time for a toplevel "m4" directory?

--- Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> Kelley Cook <kcook@gcc.gnu.org> writes:
>
> > What are the steps required to regenerate libcpp's aclocal.m4?
>
> On a current Debian unstable box,
>
> $ cd libcpp
> $ aclocal-1.8 -I ../config
>
> produces an aclocal.m4 which is identical to the one currently
> checked in.
> The reason there is no m4/ nor acinclude.m4 is, everything comes from
> ../config or from /usr/share/aclocal.

Yes, but this is because your /usr/share/aclocal likely contains a few
macros from your system's already installed gettext (which is later
than 0.12).  Specifically the included lib-ld.m4 which is from a newer
version of gettext than the fragment of 0.12.1 that is already included
with GCC's sources.

IMO, we should import all of GCC's required gettext macros into the
toplevel config (or m4) directory.