Re: C constant expressions proposals

Richard Kenner wrote:
    In fact, I consider all diagnostic outputs other than "internal
    error", "out of memory", etc. from anything other than the front end
    to be bugs. :-)

I assume you also mean to exclude warnings here, right?  Undefined variables
are best detected by the middle-end, for example.

I disagree, but we've had that debate before, so it seems boring to have it again. The bottom line is that optimizer people always think that the middle-end should do this kind of thing; people who do other things don't necessarily agree.

Another example are incorrect asm statements: the front end shouldn't be
in the business of validating them.

Perhaps.

--
Mark Mitchell