Re: GCC Status (2004-08-09)

Giovanni Bajo wrote:

Richard Kenner wrote:

Maybe a possibility would be a sort of stage 2.5 where we don't allow
any new features, but allow cleanup changes in addition to the normal
3 stage commits.

Another solution that have been proposed in the past is to alternate Stage 2
and Stage 3 every other week. Of course, there has to be some kind of
commitment on actually *working* on bug fixing during the Stage 3 weeks,
otherwise this is going to slow down things, instead of helping making mainline
stable faster.

That is exactly my concern. It also means that we have to make sure everyone remembers these switches back-and-forth, and people are going to complain when their patch doesn't get submitted/reviewed until Monday and now it's temporarily stage 3, and so the patch can't go in for a week.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC