This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: [PATCH] Make attribute functions pure


Florian Weimer wrote:

* Robert Dewar:


As I said in my previous message, the original intention was that
pure functions should not be able to have side effects. So the
original intention is that all these transformations would be valid.


The AARM seems to agree with Laurent.  The section is not marked as
redundant (which means that it's not implied by the as-if rule), and
the Discussion section explicitly mentions some of the pathological
cases (or loopholes):

I still think the ARG would not be inclined to limit optimization for these strange cases. I think this is simply a matter of the statement in the RM not reflecting the intent.



Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]