Re: Failure to bootstrap for trunk on i686-pc-linux-gnu

    That seems, then, like it should be handled in the ARRAY_REF case, not
    pushed into the generic logic.

I know.  That's indeed why I hadn't checked this patch in.  I've had it
around for nearly two weeks now.

I wrote it the simplest way possible so that folks could see if it was the
fix to the various "random" problems, but knew that the cleaner (and more
efficient) approach was to put that code just in the ARRAY_REF and
COMPONENT_REF cases.

But doing that would require retesting and my tree is currently broken.
So I've been sitting on this one for longer than I should have.

I hope to get things sorted out by later this week and will take care
of this then.