Re: WITH_SIZE_EXPR

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:49:06PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> I don't see the
> difference of whether the value (whatever it represents) is stored in
> the ARRAYR_REF or WITH_SIZE_EXPR.

The fact that you've got to look in two places to decompose an array_ref
into pointer arithmetic doesn't sound like a bad idea to you?

> There are two cases.  One is a size that's known to both, but not a
> compile-time constant.
> The other case is where the object is of variable size and unknown to
> the called, but a (small) maximum size is known.

We should be using CALL_EXPR_HAS_RETURN_SLOT_ADDR here.

Unfortunately, introducing a variable-sized temporary early is tricky to
get rid of later, and we'd like to recognize the case in which don't need
a temporary, but can have the function store to the lhs directly.  We
can't know this until after the may_alias pass.

r~