Re: Converting GCC to compilation with C++

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:20:16 +0200, Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@gnu.org> wrote:
> > How would it be different from the current situation
> > for the Ada front end? (Except that it would run afoul
> > of RMS's other bit about not rewriting bits in C++ that
> > are currently in C, which I did not fully understand.)
>
> Much different, and much easier.  We may get rid of GNU extensions in
> C++ so that it can be built in stage1.  Or, toplevel bootstrap will make
> it significantly easier to provide a bootstrap target for people without
> a C++ compiler, that does not build the Java front-end in stage2.

Either you're misunderstanding me or I am misunderstanding
you. ;-)

What I meant was: why would a GCJ (Java) front-end in C++
be anything to cry hoarse over, when Ada already has
a non-C front-end?

I agree with the latter part of your reply though: there will
have to be a "stage4" where the newly built C++ compiler
builds the Java front-end, if that's what you meant.

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT gmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/