RE: Converting GCC to compilation with C++

  Absolutely: note that in my original posting, the source of my concerns
was the proposal from R.D. Flowers that we could permit the gcc sources to
use gcc-specific extensions; that indeed would prevent non-gnu tools from
being used to compile gcc of course.

  This particular issue was tangential to the C-vs-C++ debate, which I then
addressed in the second paragraph.  The two issues (gcc source using gcc
extensions => can't compile with non-gnu tools) and (does using C++ make
compiling any harder) were only tangentially related.

>  It only means that there should
> be some computer enforced policy in place.

  There might well be a lot to be said for having auto coding standards
checkers that work like the regression checkers.  A sound - and well
enforced! - policy on the use and limitations of C++ would go a long way to
assuage my reservations.

    cheers,
      DaveK