Converting GCC to compilation with C++

Subject:
Converting GCC to compilation with C++
From:
Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:26:45 -0700
To:
gcc@gcc.gnu.org, nathan@codesourcery.com

Nathan asked what the SC made of his proposal to use (a subset of) C++
for compiling GCC.

There's been no formal decision, but it looks like the discussion has
pretty well wound down into a stalemate.  Many of the members seemed
open to the idea, but some suggested that we should demonstrate some
major improvement derived from using C++ on a branch before making a
decision.
In addition, RMS stated that the use of C++ was unacceptable for the GNU
Project, at least for programs that are presently written in C.  Let's
please not discuss this here; whether you agree or disagree, please
contact RMS directly, or find a GNU discussion group somewhere -- this
list is for things to do with GCC.

Nobody seemed to object with making modifications to the source so that
it could be compiled
with a C++ compiler, which is a first step in any event, so I think
people should feel free to proceed with that.

For now, it looks like we'll stick with ISO C.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC

Please forgive me if what I say here is either obvious or horridly
braindead. I am meaning well.

I would HATE if the Gnu C compiler became insufficient to compile
itself. A lot.

But, we have extensions. We could have more (off by default) -- really
intended for compiling GCC. Just add, incrementally and conservatively,
an extension or 3 that help us do those things that motivated this whole
thread.

Or not.

--
R. D. Flowers