This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Templates with incomplete types
Matt Austern:
>> I suspect that your example is just the nose of the camel :-)
>> If you put in codes to support your example, people would
>> have more trouble understanding why you require two-phase
>> name lookup in other similar cases.
>
> That's quite possibly true. And my question wasn't rhetorical!
> Perhaps the answer to my question really is "no". (I'm not fond
> of switches to support old nonconforming behavior either.)
>
> Perhaps the real question is: should there be a mode where
> we do one-phase name lookup and do all name lookup at the
> point of instantiation?
I guess your second paragraph is a nice reformulation of my
previous message :-)
I have no idea. I suppose I would like to keep the name
lookup code simple -- because we still have bugs there and
I would not like to see more work-arounds that would make
corrections of the current bugs more difficult.