Re: TREE_USED for BLOCK

    For ordinary BLOCKs, it will always be set.  However, consider
    BIND_EXPR, which gets used for statement expressions and possibly also
    other related things.  A BIND_EXPR must contain a BLOCK.  TREE_USED on
    this BLOCK is only set when the BIND_EXPR is expanded.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ordinary BLOCKs" here.

    Now that we have functions-as-trees and tree-ssa and unit-at-a-time,
    maybe we don't need some of this stuff anymore.

Well that's my question, basically.