Re: A question about tree-pretty-printing

On Mon, 27 Jun 2004, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

>   Do front-ends expect a pretty-printing close to the source language
> (e.g. Ada, C, C++, Fortran, Java, ...) or do they expect someting
> close to C?

The Fortran front end isn't using the core diagnostics or pretty-printing
code at all; it has its own code.  It may be that nothing it does actually
wants any of the pretty-printing at present, but using its own code does
mean (for example) that if we ever get operand number support in the core
code (whether through some updated form of Chiaki Ishikawa's patch - which
unfortunately seems to have stopped being developed - or otherwise),
gfortran won't benefit but will need to reimplement it.  (At present,
gfortran doesn't support i18n at all, bug 15586, so wouldn't actually have
any need for operand number support until i18n is supported.)

I believe Ada also uses its own diagnostics code.  (One attempt to add
support for translating Ada messages
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2003-04/msg01713.html> was rejected on
sound grounds.)

--