Re: IMA corner case with forward declarations of statics

On Jun 24, 2004, Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> Dale Johannesen <dalej@apple.com> writes:
>> I really don't think IMA mode ought to affect semantics.

> I agree in principle, but I do not think it is feasible in practice
> and in the present state of the implementation.

I think IMA can actually be expected to be able to perform additional
verifications and issue additional diagnostics that separate
compilation can't.  Violations of the ODR, for example, that can't be
detected with the separate compilation model, for which no diagnostic
is required, can be somewhat easy to diagnose in IMA.  Forcing IMA to
behave like separate compilation just for the sake of it sounds like
missing a good opportunity to aid the user in finding
otherwise-hard-to-locate errors.