Re: Proposed location for variable sizes etc in ARRAY_REF andCOMPONENT_REF

Geert Bosch <bosch@gnat.com> writes:

>>> Yes PR8361 but it is broken now by the patch anyways :(.
>>
>> I also was going to suggest PR8361. ;-)  Is anybody working on fixing
>> this?
>
  > I just finished testing with this test case, and the differences in
  > memory
  > usage are minimal. In fact, I have a hard time getting conclusive data
  > with -fmem-report. There seems 4k less allocated for size 16 and 16k
  > more
  > for size 32. Final report give 122M versus 121M, but I can't tell the
  > exact difference due to the rounding, as even a few k could tip it
  > from 121
  > to 122. Strangely enough, the amount of memory still allocated at the
  > end of the compilation process is 160k *less*.
>
  > Anyway, with this test case there is not enough difference in memory
  > usage
  > to make a difference. Any other test cases I should look at?
>
  >    -Geert
>
  > With extra fields for ARRAY_REF and COMPONENT_REF:
  >   {GC 105853k -> 105821k}Memory still allocated at the end of the
  >   compilation process

As it says above, this is not what you want, these stats are just for
the memory still allocated at the end.

If you want more complete stats you need to configure with
--enable-detailed-memory-stats, then -fmem-report will print stats
like:

Total allocations and overheads during the compilation process
Total Overhead:                         121958584
Total Allocated:                        639401116
[snip]

??? tree nodes created

Kind                   Nodes      Bytes
---------------------------------------