Re: Criteria for GCC 4.0

Joe Buck wrote:
I won't deny that there are some things that would be nice, that haven't
been done because no developer is interested.  But it would help if you
were more specific about what isn't getting done.  So far you have
identified documentation.

In a previous message, I identified three items that I would like to see in a GCC 4.0:

1) Improved Documentation (as you noted)

Quite frankly, I'm not sure how this would get funded. It's hard enough finding a budget for docs at for-profit companies; I know, it's one of the things I "do." Everyone knows that documentation is important, but it's difficult to make a business case.

"Documentation" also encompasses a lot of different topics, ranging from user stuff to internals algorithm descriptions.

2) OpenMP

Actually, I've twice thought I'd found folk who would fund some work on this, and in both cases, they decided to go with commercial compilers. I can't blame them (and I got paid anyway) -- but it's cheaper to buy the commercial compiler than it is to fund a couple of developers for many months.

3) Faster compiles

Some work is going on in this area; the frustration level is quite high among many types of users, ranging from kernel developers to people with massive applications.

And I'll add one more:

4) Automatic Vectorization

I know this is being worked on.

--