Re: debugging gcc/cc1

Johnny Huynh <huynh@ugrad.cs.ualberta.ca> writes:

> This must have been asked before, but my google and mailing list searches
> havent gotten me anything too useful...
>
> I have written an extra pass that is causes a seg fault in my gcc
> cross-compiler, but no core file is generated (presumably from the sig
> handler) and I don't know how to attach gdb to my cross-compiler.
>
> I've tried using the output provided by "gcc -v -save-temps ..." and then
> invoke cc1 from inside gdb, but thats not immediately working, and its
> a pain to have to copy and paste huge chunks of text everytime I want to
> trace my new changes.

Copying and pasting those huge chunks of text is what I do.  I've
occasionally thought about adding a gcc driver switch that would
inject "gdb --args" at the beginning of the cc1 command line, but
never actually done it.

You can get a core dump by passing -dH to the compiler.  I'm not sure
what you mean by "tips on how to trace my new changes".

zw