Installing GCC and other packages on Linux

Dear GCC Development Team,
I am having a lot of difficulty following the installation instructions with GCC, and with every other Linux package I download off of GNU.org. What program do I run to enter cd? Terminal? I've tried that and I've even got so far as to get into the directories, but when I wanted to get into the directory where the config, makefile, and install files were at, it said invalid directory. I would really appreciate detailed instructions (as detailed as you can get without taking up a lot of your time) to installing GCC and other applications. I could probably figure it all out myself if I just knew which program to run the commands in. If it is in fact terminal, and it's not working right, then what should I do?
I am asking all of this because I have tried to install these things for awhile, and I haven't come up with any answers by myself, so I'm asking for help from the community. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Sincerely,
Justin Lundeen
justin_lundeen@hotmail.com

PS-If it matters, I am running Red Hat Linux 9 Publisher's Edition. I think it's either the 2.80 or 2.86 kernel, something in there. Thanks again,

J/