Re: Tree-profiling branch status

On May 17, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Jan Hubicka wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Jan Hubicka wrote:

What's going to happen with the tree-ssa-20020619-branch based branches
now that the tree-ssa branch is closed? I know only of lno and
tree-profiling, but maybe there are others. I first thought they would
perhaps be merged into tree-ssa-20020619-branch and development continues
there.

The overall plan for tree-profiling branch has been to implemenet the CFG transparent expansion, inlining and to build CFG just once before inlining so the profile can be maintained in it.

The CFG transparent expansion is currently done and I believe that it is
quite stable (it needs testing on more wide variety of platforms).
The only major problem is the fact that mudflap is completely broken but
rewriting it into CFG aware version is not major task I believe.

The branch also contains fixed branch predictors that can be run early,
GCOV support and the tree-profiling itself.

The CFG transparent inlining is still being worked on, Stuart will be
able to say more details ;)

What do you mean with CFG transparent inlining? You mean we can inline
GIMPLE then and do basic optimization before inlining? That would be
cool. Anyway, I submitted the leafify patch for inclusion two weeks ago,

Yes, basically the idea is that we can build CFG, do early optimization phasses and build the callgraph during analysis phase. Then we can decide inlining and do inlinnig already on the gimple form with CFG built that would allow profile to be already load, doing partial inlining and similar tricks.

I forgot to add Stuart into CC, he has basic patch for this working, but
I didn't had chance to read it in detail yet.
Stuart, if you can summarize the status

I'm working on the tree-profiling-branch, with the last revision before IMA broke. I have the C compiler bootstrapping, and I'm working on C++; I think I have con/de/structor cloning working, and I'm currently chasing a problem with exception handling regions (causes an abort during libstdc++ construction).

 and how much work you think it
will be needed, it would be cool.

I don't anticipate any problems with ObjC; I have no familiarity with Ada or Treelang, and I haven't tried Fortran yet.

stuart hastings
Apple Computer