Re: [m68k] asm regression with 3.3/3.4/3.5

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:53:40PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]

  Only _scratch_ registers are clobbered.

>   Actually, although it's a requirement that you have the lib base pointer
> in a6 when you make a syscall, is it also guaranteed that the libcall will
> return it unmangled?

  Yes, since A6 is a non-scratch register.

>   In any case, I think the real issue here is that gcc isn't obliged to keep
> all those values that you've assigned to hard asm registers live during the
> asm block.  It's allowed to spill and reload them if it thinks it wants to.

  The documentation doesn't say anything about this. I have an explicit
  register variable as _input_ of my asm(). Thus I think I can assume
  that exactly this register is used.
  Then it looks like there is some code out there, that exactly has this
  expectation and its not m68k-only.

  Gunther