Re: precompiled header support

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 04:12:54PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>   Mind you, I worry that this kind of reasoning may harbour unstated
> all-the-worlds-a-*nix assumptions.  Gunther mentions the Amiga/68k; I can't
> think of any other host platforms off the top of my head, but it's a good
> example: it's a non memory-protected OS, where all apps share the same
> memory space (yeh; a bit out-of-date, I know, but it imposes a bit of
> discipline on your resource allocation and deallocation coding techniques
> when you know you have to free every malloc because it won't get released
> just because your process exits!).

  That not quite correct. Allocations done through standard C functions
  (memory, streams) _are_ released as long as the progam doesn't bypass
  the cleanup step (eg. by calling _exit()). Its true that direct resource
  allocations with OS functions need to be freed explicitly because there
  is no resource tracking per process.

  Gunther