Re: Does gcc ever use section symbol? (Re: PATCH: Multiple sectionswith same name don't work)

H. J. Lu wrote:
On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 11:11:10PM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 11:42:26AM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
Ok, a question for you about gcc behaviour, past and present.  Does gcc
emit code that references section symbols?  If not, I'll glady remove
support for them in gas, which would simplify the problem of duplicate
section names.

See text_section_label in dwarf2out.c. It defaults to being a section symbol. We use a label only if DWARF2_GENERATE_TEXT_SECTION_LAEBL is defined.

In older gcc versions, e.g. 2.8.1, we used a lot of section symbols. Over time, most of them have been replaced with labels as some assemblers don't handle section symbols, and we wanted the dwarf2 support to work for all targets. You can check for this by grepping for uses of stripattributes. There is only one use left in current sources.