Re: -fzero-initialized-in-bss again

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

> What we are discussing is what object file section each variable
> should go into.  And what I'm saying is that this shouldn't depend on
> whether a variable was written in C or Ada: it should only be a function
> of language-independent attributes.

This statement really doesn't make sense to me.  It's like saying that
what section a variable goes into should be the same between C and
C++; if it was true, then we should be able to delete thousands of
lines from the C++ frontend that are concerned with section and
linkage selection.

It's the responsibility of the language description (that is, the
standard) to specify what behaviour is required, and then of the
language frontend to set flags like DECL_COMMON appropriately to
get that behaviour.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>