Re: register allocation

On May 2, 2004, at 9:27 AM, Qiong Cai wrote:

Hi,

I'm going to study register allocation in GCC.

What do you mean "study"?

To be honest, we already know a lot about GCC register allocation, it's shortcomings, etc.
This is true for both allocators.

  Currently GCC has
two register allocators.  Here some questions:

* Is there any performance results(eg. spec2k results) available for
these two allocators?
Yes, for various platforms.
Check the mailing list archives.

* Besides those ra*.[c,h] files, is tthere any other source files related
to register allocation?
local-alloc, global-alloc (the "old" allocator)

* Which function, if available, calcuate the register pressure,
which is the defined as the max number of live variable for a basic block?

None.

Many thanks.

Qiong