Cross-configury broken in 3.4?

I recently added --host to how crosstool configures gcc;
now it can build cross-toolchains on cygwin or macosx that target linux
with gcc-2.95.3 or gcc-3.3.3.  Yay!
However, it doesn't seem to work with gcc-3.4.0 on cygwin
(haven't tried macosx yet).  *sniff*
I *hope* this is my fault somehow, but since every major release of gcc
seems to make building a cross-compiler harder, I'm afraid this
might be a real problem.

The first problem's symptoms are described in
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-04/msg00823.html and
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-04/msg00848.html
To reproduce it, try
  wget kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc5.tar.gz
  tar -xzvf crosstool-0.28-rc5.tar.gz
  cd crosstool-0.28-rc5
  sh demo-i686.sh > log 2>&1
on cygwin (or possibly mac os x; I haven't verified the problem
occurs there yet, but I will today).
Annoyingly, cygwin-1.5.9 has a bug that severely limits the number
of fds one can have open, which causes glibc build to fail;
the latest snapshot is fixed, but they haven't released
it.  The workaround is to use the latest release of cygwin,
but drop in the latest snapshot of cygwin1.dll.

I'll report back on how macosx does later today.
- Dan

(I did try specifying --build when configuring gcc.
Turns out that tells the outer configure to do a Canadian cross,
and requires you to have already built a gcc targeted at
the host system, else it fails with
 i686-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -dumpspecs > tmp-specs
 i686-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc: not found
So it's not germane to the current problem.)