Re: regclass.c: scan_one_insn special casing

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 07:14, David Edelsohn wrote:

> Michael> If anything the place of that code seems to be a bit strange, at least
> Michael> from current perspective.  After these many years we might have a better
> Michael> place.  OTOH it has to examine the insn constraints and the earliest point
> Michael> GCC is doing this is in regclass.  Clearly it would be even better if
> Michael> reload wouldn't do the stupid thing which this code is supposed to help.
>
> 	This discussion thread appears to be mixing two issues: the code
> appearing in a common part of the compiler and these types of special
> cases scattered around the compiler.  The diffusion of this type of code
> is a maintenance problem, but a single implementation should be a
> benefit.

Right. I thought it seemed more of a waste in scan_one_insn than
anything else. Maybe an "optimize address" type of function would be
best. Especially since this optimization isn't dependent on "optimize"
at all.

Though, there's the "don't split _this_ insn, we do that somewhere else"
weird effect, but the comment is likely different than the reason we're
splitting it in the backend.

-eric

--
Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>